Health benefits of cooking with kidsMay 31st, 2018
Cooking with kids teaches them lifelong skills and an appreciation of making (and eating) delicious meals that are healthy for them.
Children can start helping out in the kitchen from as early as three years old by pouring pre measured ingredients into a bowl, tearing lettuce for a salad, sprinkling cheese on a casserole and turning pages of a cookbook.
As they grow older they will develop their skills and attention span to include more challenging tasks. These can include cracking and beating eggs, mashing potatoes, reading and following recipes, the math required to measure ingredients and even using child safe knives to cut fruits and vegetables.
Cooking with kids is more than just licking the beaters
Cooking with kids is much more than just following a recipe and eating the finished product:
- It enables busy parents to spend time with their children.
- Opportunity to teach children that the food we eat is not only nutritious but it also makes our bodies healthy so that we perform better at sports, are smarter and overall happier.
- Kids develop an understanding of what raw ingredients look like before they are cooked and what is in the food they eat.
An important point to remember when cooking with kids is to keep encouraging them to regularly assist so they can develop their skills over time. Provide them with their own aprons and utensils and ask them what they would like to make or help with as they get used to the cooking process.
For safety reasons, you should always be in the kitchen when cooking with kids, supervising and monitoring progress.
To get started, don’t plan an elaborate project — 5 to 10 minutes might be all your child wants to spend on an activity. Start small and keep it fun.
“Cooking with kids provides an opportunity to teach children that the food we eat is not only nutritious, but it also makes our bodies healthy so that we perform better both physically and mentally, and have an overall sense of well-being”
Do it Yourself Pizza
At Hearty Health, we think assembling a healthy pizza is a great initial project for kids. It is a perfect dinner after a long day at work and child care and tastes delicious as well.
Let your children assemble the pizza depending on their age and ability and be creative with toppings. You can also add a variety of fresh vegetables which is a great way of introducing new tastes and textures.
Do it yourself pizza ingredients:
- Pita bread or gluten free pizza base
- Tomato sauce or pizza sauce
- Grated cheese
- Ham and/or tofu
- Pineapple pieces
Your children will be so proud of their masterpieces that they will already be designing their next pizza topping creation by the time they are finished!
To find out more about Hearty Health contact us here.
P: 1300 728 762
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Christmas cooking with kids
- A perfect childcare snack – Hearty Health Protein Balls
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away
- Hearty Health Scones for afternoon tea!
- Fun food for the footy
- Try our Hearty Health Muesli Bar
- How to avoid hay fever and keep Spring allergies at bay…
- How good food affects a child’s brain development
- Our secret for a cooking delicious warm meal on a Winter’s day
- Healthy Eating for Children Based on Australian Dietary Guidelines
- Why Children’s Meals Should Be Delivered Quickly to Childcare Centres
- Best Recommended Healthy Snacks for Children that Taste Really Good
- Reduce Sugar & Up the Taste for Healthy Happy Kids
- Easy tips to help your family eat healthier
- How Schools and Child Care Caterers Can Help Stop Obesity in Children
- New Hearty Health Winter menu is a big hit with the kids
- Childcare Centres Should Have a Proper Menu Plan and How Hearty Health Can Help
- Food Allergies in Children: Why Childcare Centre Caterers should Never Take for Granted
- Hearty Meals for Schools and Childcare Centres: Meeting Your Kids’ Nutritional Needs
- How Healthy Snacks at Schools Can Help Stop Child Obesity
- Ways on How Educators Can Promote Positive Healthy Eating Habits in Children
- The Childcare Centre’s Role for Children’s Health
- Child Care Centre Meals Online Order Service: Fresh, Allergen Free, and Healthy
- Freshness in Food Quality: How Fresh is Fresh? Hearty Health’s Success in Child Care Catering