Easy tips to help your family eat healthierJune 20th, 2017
Children, teenagers and even adults are exposed to a range of high sugar and fatty foods in today’s world whether from television commercials, peer pressure from friends, specific promotion of products in shops or just our hectic lifestyle that leaves us time poor and needing to snatch quick takeaway options for family meals.
It can be tough to navigate but the key is to make nutritious choices appealing so they become a first preference for our kids (and us!).
Below are Hearty Health’s top tips for encouraging your family to eat healthier:
Less packaging – Try to buy food that has minimum packaging and is as close to its natural form as possible. A simple rule of thumb – less packaging equals less processing.
Lead by example – Kids love to copy so make sure you and the carer’s of your children are making healthy choices as well and save any sweet or savoury treats for special occasions.
Play hide and seek – be creative and add vegetables to a spaghetti Bolognese or mash carrots up with mashed potato, or add a sweet dip to slices of apple.
Cook at home – not only are restaurant and takeaway meals more expensive, they have more added sugar and unhealthy fat, so cooking at home can have a huge positive impact on your family’s health (and budget). Plus, if you make extra, you can save leftovers for work lunches or for more meals and snacks during the week.
Get kids involved – a great way to get the kids engaged is to ask them to prepare a meal plan for the week ahead. Then you can all shop for the ingredients and can go one step further by helping to cook meals too if time permits.
Snack on – when we are hungry we are hungry. Have plenty of quick snacks on hand for your tribe including fruit, vegetables like carrots and cucumber and some home cooked baking too. After all, it is all about balance and taste that keep us coming back for more.
P: 1300 728 762
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away
- Hearty Health Scones for afternoon tea!
- Fun food to make with the kids this footy weekend
- Try our Hearty Health Muesli Bar
- How to avoid hay fever and allergies now that Spring is on its way…
- How Does Healthy and Nutritious Meals Affect Children’s Brain Development?
- Our Secret for Cooking Delicious Warm Meals on a Winter’s Day
- Healthy Eating for Children Based on Australian Dietary Guidelines
- Why Children’s Meals Should Be Delivered Quickly to Childcare Centres
- Best Recommended Healthy Snacks for Children that Taste Really Good
- Reduce Sugar & Up the Taste for Healthy Happy Kids
- Easy tips to help your family eat healthier
- How Schools and Child Care Caterers Can Help Stop Obesity in Children
- New Winter Menu is a Big Hit with the Kids
- Childcare Centres Should Have a Proper Menu Plan and How Hearty Health Can Help
- Food Allergies in Children: Why Childcare Centre Caterers should Never Take for Granted
- Hearty Meals for Schools and Childcare Centres: Meeting Your Kids’ Nutritional Needs
- How Healthy Snacks at Schools Can Help Stop Child Obesity
- Ways on How Educators Can Promote Positive Healthy Eating Habits in Children
- The Childcare Centre’s Role for Children’s Health
- Child Care Centre Meals Online Order Service: Fresh, Allergen Free, and Healthy
- Freshness in Food Quality: How Fresh is Fresh? Hearty Health’s Success in Child Care Catering
- Childcare Nutrition: What Your Children Eat Can Affect Their Developmental Health
- Childcare Healthy Meals Should Promote Protection against Tooth Decay